Female in Technology
If you know, the world’s first computer programmer is a woman, Ada Lovelace (Born: 10 December 1815, London, England) was an English mathematician and writer, chiefly known for the work Charles Babbage’s proposed mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. She was the first to recognize that the machine had application beyond pure calculation, and had published the first algorithm intended to be carried out by such a machine. As a result, she is sometimes regarded as the first to recognize the full potential of a “computer machine” and the first computer programmer. The contribution of women in the technology world is enormous, we can see Grace Hopper, developer of COBOL, she is one of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer. Safra Catz as CFO of Oracle, Lucy Peng as Co-Founder of Alibaba, Sherly Sandberg as COO Facebook, those are a few women’s who contribute in technology.
I’ll tell you about a community of female in Indonesia, a community that accommodates aspirations and synergies from females who are involved in the world of technology. FemaleGeek is a community consisting of females “strong” who love and wrestle in IT field. This community initiated by females active in the world of IT. Established from 2 February 2016, Anne Regina Nancy Toar as engineer manager at Bukalapak, she is the lead of center FemaleGeek. FemaleGeek has 824 members in 10 cities, many developing in several regions.
A mission :
Synergizing women to contribute (develop/preserve) the role of women towards the progress of IT especially in Indonesia too world.
- As a place to actualize themselves in the IT field.
- Learning places and various things both of soft skill and skills in the IT field.
- Increase the sense feel of care between the member by making a special forum to discuss every issue that is related to the world of IT.
- Expanding social networks professionally, especially at IT field.
Work program :
- Event held every session or special moment, usually cooperate with partners.
- Telegram lecture held every week, the materials always updated and the new technology from speakers and practitioner in the IT world, and the audients can ask questions with speakers.
- Regular meetup held in each region, can directly discuss with the FemaleGeek members in your city, increase familiarity among fellow members, share knowledge and experience.
- Sister to sisters, there are mentee to mentor, we can learn in online or
direct discussion, there are material and curriculum.
- Volunteer, collaboration with partner and charity.
I hope every female in every city in Indonesia who loves with IT can join in this community because females have the ability to learn about IT field. Share something that we have is very kind of good thing, because sharing is caring, thank you.